Monday, July 29, 2013

Driving in Paris

  There is so much to see here in Paris!  There are so many things to do here!  It may sound sentimental but there are moments here that actually my eyes leak a little.
  Yesterday we picked up my niece and her boyfriend and did a road trip outside of the city.  (Lucky kids are doing work study here in Paris.)
  We went on a drive to Reims, the city of Joan of Arc.  (I'm used to the English spelling of "Reims" as "Rheims", but when you are in France, I'll side with the natives.)
  We had a leisurely lunch (2 1/2 hours) then split up.  I spent all my time in the church-Notre Dame du Reims.  I took a lot of photos and tried to sketch a stained glass panel I admired.  It's mind boggling to think that some kind of place of worship stood here since the 400's A.D.  (Yes, that's 400 HUNDRED A.D.  Without a "1" in front of that "4".)
  My favorite things were the sculptures on the exterior of the church.  And the gargoyles and waterspouts were whimsical and scary too.
 The day ended with a drive around the Arc de Triomphe.  I'd tell you what that looked like but I was busy praying with my eyes closed.
  Twelve roads feed into 7 lanes around the Arc.  "Lanes" is a subjective term.
  You better know what you are doing or you will be going around and around the Arc until you've made a groove in the pavement or run out of petrol.  I wouldn't know as I am never going to drive in Paris.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment