Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Living in a Foreign Country is for the Courageous!

  Some people who get to live in a foreign country don't feel comfortable there.  They seek out places that other Americans live, eat only in American restaurants (really!) and don't bother to learn the language.  I don't get that.  Why not just stay home?
  Anyone who has lived overseas has challenges.  The language, the customs, the currency, etc.  It's one thing to be a tourist, yet another to be an expat, muddling through the day.
  Every day I'm challenged and I take it as a dare to get through it.
  Last night my challenge was to figure out how to operate the gas stove without torching our flat.  (We have an electric range at home.  I can't remember when I last had gas.  A stove, you know.)
  I admit it.  I've been here almost 2 weeks and have not cooked a single meal until last night.  I finally decide to, and I'm faced with a cook top that demands translation.


    "Not intuitively obvious" as my dear husband says.
  I take it as a sign that I shouldn't cook while living here in Paris.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you wrote, Theresa. Living in a different environment imposes a lot of challenges and some people doesn't seem to like the idea. In my opinion, challenges such as learning different cultures, languages and way of life should be your main goal to topple. Congratulations on finally getting your gas stove to work. :)

    Rachal Dworkin @ Best Law Associates

    ReplyDelete